Thursday, May 06, 2010

traditional handicraft - Baenderei Kafka




Yesterday I visited "Baenderei Kafka", an old German weaving mill based in Wupptertal.

They manufacture beautiful traditional and modern ribbons on old 19th century Jaquard looms. It needs about one hour to turn these thin threads into one meter of ribbon




But the results speak for themselves. The ribbons are sold worldwide
to Designers, shops and private persons




Over there I met Christine. She´s an old friend of mine and guided me through the factory.
While we were chatting in the cozy factory shop, the looms were rattling above our heads
Thank you Christine for the fascinating journey back into time

6 comments:

Gleyce Cruz said...

What a magic place!

mona said...

Oh, da war ich vor knapp zwei Jahren auch, in der Adventszeit. Im Laden gab es Kaffee und Kuchen und Frau Kafka hat uns die ratternden Maschinen gezeigt - sehr beeindruckend. Später konnte ich mich nur schwer zwischen all den schönen Bändern entscheiden, die mittlerweile zu Broschen geworden sind oder Schals und Stulpen zieren.
Herzliche Grüße, Mona

Kristin L said...

I think I've purchased a few of their ribbons while I lived in Germany. Beautiful. I don't suppose we'll be seeing ribbon with viking ships or teh vikings themselves on it? I can totally imagine a girl's dirndle with vikings on the vest (I've already got Norwegian clasps) and ships sailing around the hem....

elisa said...

That is a factory close to my heart.

Cyriaque_L said...

What a so lovely and interesting visit ! Thank you to share it with us. That's so beautiful !

Sonya said...

Looks like heaven. Colorful and lovely.