Sunday, September 14, 2008

the mixed nuts project

I´m happy to announce that the former secret "mixed nuts project" is online for public viewing now.

Kirsty Campion, an Australian designer had sent a plain white nut shape to artists around the globe (I´m sure some of the participant names you´ve heared already before) and invited them to modify it freely. The only rule was to stay true to the stitching line of the shape. All sent in nuts were exhibited in Adelaide afterwards.

While working on that project I took some pics for documenting the process.
For approaching to this nut shape and getting inspiration I found it to be the best and fastest way using the paper pattern, some buttons and fabric scraps. I then played around by arranging them over and over again.
Soon I knew that the bigger part of the nut would be the head, while the small one should be the body.
When tilting the head I was touched by the expression and I had found my form and idea. I wanted to make a Pietà Nut. “Pietà” derives from the Latin word “pietas”, meaning “pity”, “compassion”, “sorrow”. It is the name traditionally given to works of art representing the dead body of Christ in the arms of his mother, a devotional image of the Virgin Mary mourning the dead Christ, who lies across her lap.

sketchbook while working on the nut project

My Pietà Nut is not meant to be a sculpture of Mary and Christ. I choosed the Pietà as the subject, because of the mother and child theme and my personal experiences and emotions about it. To me it is a strong symbol for loss, mourning, pain, motherhood and the fragility of life.


The final "Pietá Nut"; wall sculpture, about 35 cm tall, white artificial leather, white cotton fabric, hand-embroidered with silver and copper thread, stuffed with polyfill, hanger on the back.

Please visit the mixed nuts online exhibition, to see what each artist created from the shape. Some nuts are sold already, others (mine too) are still available. You can also leave a comment, we´d be happy. If you enjoy the project and exhibition then please spread the word. Thank you!

A hughe THANK YOU goes to Kirsty for this art project. For me it was a gift to recieve her invitation. The Pietà Nut is a very personal piece and devotional. Making her was an emotional and teary thing. But after I had finished her I felt eased and I knew I had taken a further step in a healing and learning to accept process. And after all her color is WHITE ...

7 comments:

Beate Knappe said...

sie ist wunderbar - eben eine echt Sandra Monet - Pieta - einfach klsse.

deedeen said...

Beautifull, and so intense...

Laura B said...

Your nut hug is beautiful and moving. What a great idea to spread the template around the globe :)

belula said...

Guauuuu...great project!!!, I love it!.

Margie Oomen said...

Thanks so much sandra for letting us in on your amazing creative process. The final result captures the emotion perfectly. I knew what it was right away when I saw your flickr picture and before reading the post . I think it is because I have suffered a loss like that as well. I made a softie to commemorate it as well ( the little boy that became a tree)

nicki said...

ich bin via vvia auf diese seite gekommen und ich bin begeistert! Ich komme wieder ;)

oree74@orange.fr said...

je suis une grande fan de vos "créatures" !

j'adorrrrrrrre ! bravo