Sunday, February 03, 2008

tagged - a special something

I´ve been tagged by Debi. "Show me a special something, important or beautiful or meaningful or full of memories for you - or all of that - and tell me about it." I asked S. to answer on this. {Sandra}
This white dress I wore at my communion. Now it is 30 years old and has still a spot of coffee on the right sleeve. My mother sewed it for me and that is the reason why I cherish it. It´s one of the links to the good times of my childhood.
It also reminds me of all the creative women before me, which took the time doing things by hand. Knitting, crocheting, drawing, painting furniture, embroidering, or recyling materials to make something beautiful out of it. Especially my grandmother - having lost everything in the war - found a use in even the oldest and oddest materials and still created something from almost nothing. I remember her making carpets out of old clothes, she collected. She cutted them into straps and tied them into soft and colorful floor clothes.
Makes me think of an art work from Janine Antoni
"I asked my friends to give me materials to put into the rope. A lot of people gave me materials from friends who had passed away. Giving them to me to put into the rope is like giving them another life, another form. I wonder whether the viewer can uncover these stories through their experience of the object, whether these stories are somehow held in the material.” — Janine AntoniJanine Antoni, "Moor" - Detail, 2001; Handmade rope made by materials donated to the artist by friends and family, 290 feet

4 comments:

shula said...

I couln't agree with you more.

debi van zyl said...

its beautiful, the dress, the rope, the memory and the meanings...

das Musenkind said...

Liebe Herzensart-Freundin,

schön, dass Du das verspielte Kind, das in diesem Kleidchen gelebt hat, tief in Dir bewahrt hast!

Cornelia

püppilottchen said...

hach - wunder-wunderschön...!! so ein süßes kleid!

das paßt auch zu meinem nora-sophie-quilt ("von wegen wiederverwertung von erinnerungsstücken")

lg, nicola