Saturday, May 26, 2007

on the journey

Hello friends,
sorry for neglecting you. Seems I´m holding distance to the Internet at the moment. Not for special reason, it´s only that I don´t feel THAT addiction to the cyberspace at the moment.

I´m going on with my organic journey, doing research for natural materials, ordering swatches from further organic fabrics and searching for an alternative for the man-made polyfill stuffing. I came across an interesting material -> Kapok. Kapok fibre is extracted from the seedpod of the kapok tree. The material is removed by hand, dried and separated from the seeds. Worldwide Kapok was very popular as a filling for life-vests, pillows, mattresses etc. until the 1950s. After that it was replaced by foam and synthetics for easier manufacturing.
The fibre is an interesting naturally silky cotton-like material but even softer, it´s also VERY lightweight, non-allergic, non-toxic, resistant to rot and odorless.
So I gave Kapok a try and ordered 10 kg of this silky material. I can tell you it´s not easy to work with this fluffy fibre - it is full of air and wants to float and really makes a mess. But anyway - I love it.
And this is the very first inside and outside organic viking (no. 27).
Unfortunately organic materials are still higher in price than non-organic pendants, but I think it´s worth it. Love the idea of guerilla gardening. Read here the instruction how to make seed balls (found through Keri Smith)

a quote that made me think and I like to share with you:

All landscapes ask the same question: "I´m watching you - are you watching yourself in me?" -Lawrence Durrell

take care, Friederike!

8 comments:

Kirsty said...

Thats really interesting reading about the kapok.I can't believe you found some. Even the organic fabrics I wouldn't know where to start.
I wish I could get rid of that internet addiction thing, I would get a lot more creative stuff done.
Love those new vikings.

shula said...

He's positively cosmic.

Barb said...

You could be breaking new ground for other crafts people to follow, by using organic material and kapok...a real inspiration with your earth friendly Vikings!

cally said...

i was searching for organic cotton and found your blog, great vikings! I'm amazed by your wisteria, such long flowers, ours are much much shorter and don't have very strong scent, yours are incredible.

sheree said...

I love it--organic inside and out. :) You have fully embraced the concept now--can't wait to see where it leads you. :)

sheree

Florence said...

your blue viking is green! beautiful :)

Kapok sounds like interesting stuff(ing)

and a lovely quote.

xx

Mlle Smith said...

Madame, I have finally responded to your meme, AND, I even did it as an audioblog. :0)

You know what? It's summer...the sun is shining and the weather is warm! I find that I take a step away from blogging when summer arrives. It's nice to take a break and focus on fun and creativity. :0)

fliss said...

I am so in love with your vikings and even more so now that they are organic...i would love to use only organic materials but recycling is my first step.
Keep up your beautiful work and i look forward to seeing more organic vikings etc...