Saturday, May 05, 2007

back again

[post by Sandra] a few days in Bavaria lie behind me, spending intensive time with my family, trying to suck in wonderful little moments, when my grandmother suddenly starts to sing songs of yesteryear, followed by a fit of laughter, walks with my brother and his dog by the beautiful Danube landscape, my mother cooking for me and playing the do-you-remember-who-I-am-and-which-day-do-we-have-today-"games" with my father. Being with my family means also being confronted with a lot of illness and also demands the planning of your time with each part of the divoreced parents.
Now I´m home again, full of impressions, full of talks, full of emotions - sleepless - trying to handle this "overload". Working at home can be a quiet thing, it can raise an addiction to silence.
Lying awake in my bed tonight, I decided to get up at 4 o´clock in the morning and to watch the DVD "Die grosse Stille" (English title "into great silence") in the hope this film would have a soothing impact on my restless brain. And it did. Here is what the film is about

Nestled deep in the postcard-perfect French Alps, the Grande Chartreuse is considered one of the world s most ascetic monasteries. In 1984, German filmmaker Philip Gröning wrote to the Carthusian order for permission to make a documentary about them. They said they would get back to him. Sixteen years later, they were ready. Gröning, sans crew or artificial lighting, lived in the monks quarters for six months filming their daily prayers, tasks, rituals and rare outdoor excursions. This transcendent, closely observed film seeks to embody a monastery, rather than simply depict one it has no score, no voiceover and no archival footage. What remains is stunningly elemental: time, space and light. One of the most mesmerizing and poetic chronicles of spirituality ever created, INTO GREAT SILENCE dissolves the border between screen and audience with a total immersion into the hush of monastic life. More meditation than documentary, it s a rare, transformative experience for all.
Now it´s 8 o´clock in the morning, I sit at my laptop with a second cup of coffee, writing these lines. I will end now to watch and feel all the soft swatches of organic fabrics Martje from the Netherlands sent me and see if I get inspiration for new herzensart creations. Slowly I immerese myself again into my silent artist life.

6 comments:

Barb said...

There's a reason for the saying, "Silence is golden," and you understand it perfectly. As much as I absolutely love having my little cottage full of visiting family, grandson, friends and dogs, I've discovered that times peace and serenity are just as important to help me maintain my life's balance.

shula said...

Ooh, I love to see it.

Maria de Jesus said...

I love the music of the silence. Thanks for sharing the film.
A big kiss from me and a big hug from Pico (very strong and peaceful energy)

bogi said...

Sandra, happy you're back again.
And barb's words said it all...
Hope to see you soon :)
hugs and kisses
Bogi.

Florence said...

that film sounds wonderful. I understand your sentiments about overload from family time.

as always,
xx

ps I got that Alchemy book, and the images are amazing!! check my Librarything via the sidebar link for the title etc :)

Sonya said...

I must see that movie.