Monday, November 27, 2006

the legend of the thornbird

I´m a dramatic sheep. The more drama the better - not in all respects - and especially I hope I´m also over it watching out for drama in my personal life. But I still love it in movies. I´m sure you know the novel "The thorn birds" which was also broadcast, must have been in the eighteens, I guess. The story of a forbidden love affair between the young priest "Father Ralph" and an Australian sheep farm daughter "Meggie". Didn´t we cry lots of tears, when Father Ralph was torn between his own love for Meggie and his love for God? A story full of bitter sweet drama....
It was Ralph who told Meggie "the legend of the thorn bird". The story begins this way

I never forgot this as it impressed me so much. A few days ago, it came to my mind again and inspired me to a series of thorn birds

I´ve uploaded a few more pics on flickr. These birds will also be available on my website, soon. Wish you a day without drama! Kisses, Friederike!



8 comments:

shula said...

I suspect your grandparents did end up leaving for Australia in some parallel universe, and you were ultimately born here.

Those birds make my heart sing.

Breathless, as always...

risa said...

those birds are divine.

tonja_raeubertochter said...

wonderful, romantic, mega-creative. great idea!

abbyjane said...

super! i also love the black branches!

bogi said...

dear sandra + friederike!
i'm really impressed by your new artwork and i wonder where you get this strength and power...
not only very creative work, but deep going and wonderful. these pictures are great. i love the balance between the pain of the thorns and the innocence and pureness of the birds. you found the way to put these emotions to one and let the birds rise above the pain.

Friederike! said...

thank you friends for all your lovely comments. They make MY heart sing

Anonymous said...

Those birds are so beautiful and, being Australian, I feel particularly attracted to the thornbirds.

Kim Carney said...

those birds in contrast with black branched, wonderful