Tuesday, September 26, 2006

investment in inspiration


Hello friends,
I´m not a fashion victim sheep, which doesn´t mean I´m stingy. But give me some money and let me choose to spend it in a new coat or in new art supplies and books, definitely I would elect the latter.
I´m fascinated by the artist Louise Bourgeois (born 1911 in Paris, lives and works in New York) for a long time. By chance I came across a gallery exhibition in Cologne some months ago and it was so thrilling to watch her work in real.
Last week I found the book "La famille" in an art-books-store and had to buy it. It collects her family-related-works and deals with her fears of failure, to not succeed as a wife, a mother and most of all as an artist. So her personal history is vastly important in the content of her work and she also has pushed many boundaries. I think the portrait picture above also exemplifies this. Her work unsettels me and intrigues me at the same time.

An artist or better an artist couple of quite a different nature that I also really love is Niki de Saint Phalle and Jean Tinguely.

Art was their great love and Niki and Jean turned their love into great art. To me it´s one of the greates love romances of the last century. As the creation of art can be a lonely endeavor, these two artists were able to work together and to challenge each other with their visions. "It was like a game of ping-pong between us" said Niki about their collaboration. Isn´t that wonderful? Even after both entered into new relationships they realized a major art project like the Tuscany Tarot Garden together.

So a further book - instead of a new hat, or coat or shoes - I needed to have: Niki & Jean - L'Art et l'Amour

And an exhibition tip for tonight, just in case you live in this area. My friend Bogi and other photographers show their art works at PHOTOLOFT2 Mediapark Koeln, Gebauede 4 A+B+D+E. The opening is at 7 p.m. (19 Uhr)

But now, enough for today - back to work. Love, Friederike!

6 comments:

risa said...

i saw a great documentary about louise a few years ago and it was totally totally inspiring. way better than the pair of socks i could have bought instead of the movie ticket. :)

one black bird said...

A couple of years ago, when I was dirt poor, I came upon a rare book, called "The Insomnia Drawings, by Louise Bourgeois. She has been a great inspiration to me and most of all I love her DRAWINGS. This book is full her drawings...it cost $100 and I did not have the money at the time so I waited until I did and hoped the book would not sell. I got lucky, the book is now mine. I look at the book all the time or sometimes leave it open and turn a page a day.

Friederike! said...

@risa: yes, Louise is a great inspiration. I tried to get the documentary, but it´s not available in Germany.
@one black bird: you lucky girl! The book is now thrice expensive, but it´s also on my wishlist. Maybe some day :-)

Beate said...

A couple of years ago I saw her Installation "Dangerous liquids" or something like this name on the Documenta in Kassel and at this Moment I in love

KJ said...

I'm with you on the art supplies over clothes thing. In fact, I'd just about choose art supplies over anything, even though I already have so many I sometimes forget what I have, or have trouble finding things, even when my studio is neat and organized.

Thanks for sharing Niki and Jean's story with us...I must admit, I'd hadn't heard of them before, and now I must have that book. The way you described it, it sounds so touching and inspiring.

KJ

XT moveis e acessorios artesanais said...

I FIND VERY HARD TO LOOK AT LOUSE DE BOURGOIS WORKS, THEY HAVE SOMETHING REALTED TO THE STRANGE AND HIDEN FEELINGS AND THOUTS THAT THE MAN HAVE, FLESH, BLOOD!! IT MAKES ME FELL STRANGE , BUT , IS AT THE SAME TIME FANTASTIC!!! NIKKY THE SAINT PHALE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES TO!! TRY TO LOOK AT ANTHONY CARO WORK( THAT WHAT MAKES ME REMENBER THAT LITTLE MOVIE YOU SHOW!! KISS TO YOU , SPECIALL , MY EXHIBITION IS FINISHED THAK GOOD!!